Reflections upon the 127th Diocese of Southern Virginia Council

In my office I have a framed artistic photographic display of the doors to several churches in another diocese where I served.  Having had this photo art for several years, I have always thought of it as display of the ways we enter the places where our congregations gather.  However, after our Diocesan Council last weekend in Williamsburg, I am having second thoughts about that.  In view of the fact that we spent a great deal of time talking about and to lesser degree, though significant, strategizing about how we can pursue our Christian mission outside the walls of the church, perhaps I ought to think of the doors as the way we get out into our communities to do our work of mission.

As Mr. Gannon Sims and the Rev’d Bobbi Fitzhugh spoke so eloquently about Fresh Expressions, I could see the neural pathways of cognition begin to open for the people who were there to listen to and engage with them.  We are facing great opportunities for recasting the historic message of Jesus to those in our communities who wait for us to engage with them.  The doors of our church buildings will always be there to not only allow us to come in, but also to go back out into our neighborhoods to find those “persons of peace” with whom we can engage as friends, and who can serve as the gateway to a new generation of Christians.

I would be remiss if I did not say that I was impressed with the enthusiasm that the clergy and laypersons of the diocese had for their missional ministries.  From Recovery Ministries to Chanco, the passion was obvious.  Yes, we do have work to do.  However, I have every confidence that with the collaborative spirit of Jesus as our Lord we will pursue every available avenue and venue to be proclaimers of the love of God in Christ. 

Thank you again for welcoming me into your midst and for your confidence our ability to lead the people of God into a new chapter of being the body of Christ in the Southern Virginia. 

Peace,
+Jay  

Comments